We had a chance to try PPSSPP PSP emulator on our Symbian devices, but it seems that its quite laggy to run high end PSP based games on Nokia N8 & even Nokia 808 PureView, although its a good sign to see such sort of developments taking place for Symbian. N8 Fan Club Rocks. You can try it out on your devices and let us know which games you are able to play smoothly on your Symbian Device using PPSSPP PSP Emulator for Symbian. Note that you will need .ISO or .CSO PSP ROM(s) to run through this emulator. You will have to search for them yourself. Below you can see the video demonstration.
PPSSPP – PSP Emulator in Action on Nokia N8 & Nokia 808 PureView
PPSSPP Emulator for Symbian brings large compatibility improvements, much better audio, many graphics fixes, savegames working in many games, and save states too! N8 Fan Club. All of this available for Symbian, Android, Blackberry & Windows, with more ports coming soon. Now even the low-end Nokia N8 with its 680MHz ARMv6 processor can play some 3D games at full speed (40-60 FPS). While its bigger brother, the Nokia 808, with its 1300MHz ARMv6 processor is able to play many 3D PSP games at full speed. If you haven’t been following the git releases you will be pleasantly surprised by how much the performance and compatibility has improved.
- 0.9.5 - Buildfix for Symbian. Remove unused swap code. Symbian didn’t like the -= even though Linux did.
- 0.9.1 - Performance improvements and bug fixes.
- 0.9.0 - Add Russian to LowMem. Modify script to automatically build lowmem atlas at same time. – Multi-threading only slows down single-core systems. Option doesn’t need to be there.
- 0.7.6: UI, language and compatibility improvements. (Bug, version number still shows as 0.7.5)
- 0.7.5: Official stable release & Speed hack is now an option again and shows the correct VPS when it is used.
- 0.7.4: Now based on git v0.7-584. This brings changes to FBO and UI. Experimental ‘speed hack’ that we devised. Changes the internal game clock to run at full speed. Use this instead of frameskipping on games that support it. Example: Wipeout
- 0.7.3: It includes all the latest changes from github such as improved UI (showing game list and game images in menu), improved compatibility and speed. It also includes improvement to video RAM management for first-generation Symbian^3 devices. Jetpack Joyride should now be playable because of this (when buffered rendering is off and frameskip is on).
- 0.7.2: Based on the latest git + some uncommitted changes. All the options are available in settings.
- 0.7.1: Accelerometer can do full 360 degree joystick (from v0.6.8) again.
- 0.7.0: Massive performance & compatibility upgrades
- 0.6.8: Support for accelerometer, bug fixes and compatibility improvements.
- 0.6.7: Improved clock speed on 1st Gen S^3 devices
- Fix crash on Symbian when doing “Return to Menu”
- Fix Symbian JIT + FastMem by using a mapped virtual address
- RChunk. N8 Fan Club Symbian build fix use globs for atmois Fan Symbian updates and Chinese translation
- Added a pause button to Symbian
- It has some special secret sauce so it always runs 60 fps according to game clock. Not many games check game clock though – N8 – Wipeout Pure is one.
- It’s also based on latest git (v0.6-640) and merged with latest armjit-fpu. Club So, latest of everything.
- Has an extra thing I haven’t committed on git yet: you can now return to menu and load new games without it crashing
Download Working PSP ROMs (Thanks to: Hecserr Raul Quinteros Friz)
- Pinball fantasies
- Funky punch
- Pac-man championship
- Alien zombie death
- Run ghost run
- Twin blades
- Who’s that flying
- Swap zap
Some currently known playable games:
- Fate Extra
- Puzzle Bobble Deluxe
- Puzzle Quest
- MotoGP (on PC)
|Dragon Ball: Evolution|
|Knights in the Nightmare|
|Obscure – The Aftermath|
|Ridge Racer 2|
|Tales of Eternia|