We mentioned the LG Optimus 2X passively in a post before, noting it’s 1080p video recording capabilities. The N8 (gosh, announced all the way back in April 2010) has 720p but could be classed as one of if not the best phone that records 720p HD. Damien Dinning and team are said to be working on improving video (and photo) quality for a N8 update. Custom N8 firmwares (e.g. by hyperX or faenil) have brought us 30fps and even continuous autofocus. We’ll have to wait on the firmware release to see what we actually do get. Though heavens knows when that will ever come out :p.
Anyway, GSM arena have posted an early show down of the LG Optimus 2X with a 1080p and a 720p offering. The subject isn’t the most exciting but it’s the best we have for now. Note, LG Optimus 2X is pre-production and can still improve once released.
- 1080p advantage in resolution isn’t huge, hard to pick a winner when both in 720p
- LG possibly has a wider angle than the N8′s already wide 28mm. Not sure how much, LG didn’t state.
- N8 smoother when LG is in 1080p though LG becomes smoother when both at 720p. That’s how things are now whilst LG is pre-production and whilst N8 waits for update.
- “video-recording is not all about resolution and resolved detail. Things like dynamic range (where the N8 is still the king), adaptability, color balance and autofocus accuracy (if video AF is at all present) play equally important parts in capturing high-quality clips”
- No comment on the audio. That’s such an important but overlooked part of videos.
- I wonder how the digital zooming works on the LG
How much more can the N8 quality improve? What else on the imaging front might Nokia have on the table? Will iPhone 5 have 1080p and if so what will Nokia do to match it? (They’re supposedly working on a “true zoom” phone – possibly next attempt at making a killer compact camera with a phone part :p)
On stills images the LG Optimus 2x has a 8mp flash with LED flash. We can safely bet that at least in low light it will be thrashed by the N8 and xenon. Will be nice to see these two again at a later date in more varied settings.